Monday, August 10, 2009

Tribute to Christy (Part I)

As of this Friday, Christy and I will have been married for a whole year. It's been a great year too with Christy getting into the El Ed program at BYU, me getting into law school, and both of us being happy in our new life together. And so to commemorate our anniversary, I thought I'd start a tribute series through Friday: a daily post highlighting some of the qualities that I love most about Christy.

The first thing that comes to mind is how amazingly supportive Christy is. I can be a bit odd in my habits, interests, desires, etc. (and odd is probably putting it nicely), but I can't think of one time I haven't felt like Christy was behind me all the way. And what surprises me more is that sometimes she even enjoys whatever it is I put her through. Let me illustrate:

Exhibit A: I have always had a small passion for personal finance and my desire to explore the system had created a complex, but effective (at least I think) system - that I brought into the marriage. I can't say Christy hasn't made fun of me for it, but she has never nagged me to clean it up and simplify. She accepts it because she knows it's part of who I am and that it makes me happy. And I don't know many people who would be willing to deal with having 2 checking accounts, 7 savings accounts, and 3 credit cards spread across 5 institutions. What a girl!

Exhibit B: I don't have to look farther back than last Thursday to get a perfect example of this. Christy had willingly accompanied me to a going away party for one of my friends, Dave Pruitt. We had been there for a while when I got a phone call from my best friend, Robert Bucker, letting me know he was going to the Nickelcade with some of his family members. I had dismissed the idea, not wanting to subject Christy to hours of boys and their video games. But Christy saw the light in my eyes when I first got the phone call and she encouraged the idea. We went and the crowning part of the evening was that Christy played Ninja Turtles (the whole game, mind you) with Robert, Rich, and I. And she liked it (somehow).

Exhibit C: Law school. Enough said.

And the list could go on and on. Not only is Christy incredibly supportive, but look at what she has to put up with. I love you Christy!

2 comments:

  1. "And I don't know many people who would be willing to deal with having 2 checking accounts, 7 savings accounts, and 3 credit cards spread across 5 institutions."

    Wow! You'll have to explain your system to me since it's intriguing in a completely bizarre way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just realized it's 3 checking accounts. I really am disturbed.

    The basic structure is that everything feeds in and out of ING Direct which is an online bank (ingdirect.com - talk to me if you are interested in a link because they'll give you $25 and me $10 if you are referred). They pay a decent interest rate for a savings account (1.5% which used to be 3.5% before the Fed drove rates down).

    From there, some accounts are for convenience (i.e. branch availability) and some were opened because they gave some sort of incentive to open. And others are there just because they were brought into the marriage and there's not much point in closing an existing account :)

    ReplyDelete