Sunday, September 25, 2011

If only she would sleep...

It all started Friday. I substitute taught Amanda's 6th grade class. Brandon had school stuff to do, so Abbie came with me and hung out with grandma and grandpa Crowther for the day. It was hard being away from her, I kind of felt like I was abandoning her. Thankfully she only cried for like a minute and then had a good day- with little sleep. When school got out we came back home and barely missed the BYU football game traffic (so, glad! I don't do well with traffic, or other cars for that matter). We tried to put Abbie down for a nap but failed.  So, we decided we would go get a quick dinner and hopefully she would be ready to go to bed for the night. That might have worked, haha, except that all the places we had coupons for actually don't exist anymore, so we ended up driving around a lot, which may have been okay, except for the previously mentioned traffic. We finally settled for Arctic Circle and then picked up Thor at redbox. Getting Abbie to sleep wasn't as easy as usual. She woke up at 3am and was wide awake and would not go back to sleep. I ended up staying up with her for 1 1/2 hours. And then because I was wide awake, I had a hard time going back to sleep. Saturday, we got up early, because Brandon's dad planned a family 5k Here's a cute picture of Brandon and Abbie watching cartoons while I was getting ready.
We all had matching t-shirts for the 5k.  The boys ran most of it, and us girls walked (and cheated). It was fun :)
We went back to the house and had a yummy breakfast and then hung out for a while. Abbie tried some new baby cracker things and of course liked them. Please note the bow that is glued to her head (Elmer's glue). That is because she won't keep her headbands on anymore, and someone recently thought she was a boy. So I will resort to this. 
During the whole morning and afternoon she only took about a 30 minute nap. Do you see where this is heading? We went over to my parents' house because I was planning on going to the General Relief Society Broadcast with my mom and sister. By this point Abbie was getting super whiny and once again would not go to sleep. Let me just say, I was very grateful to get a break from her to go to the meeting. And of course the meeting was fabulous and uplifting. We got home a little before 9pm, and put Abbie to bed- thankfully she transferred from the car seat!  Unfortunately, she woke up around midnight. Brandon brought her in to sleep with us, but she tossed and turned most of the time, which meant that neither of us slept very well so around 3am he took her back to her crib and she actually stayed. That is until 4am. I got up with her and once again was up with her for a LONG time. She then got up again at 6 with Brandon for good, which means she never really went back to sleep. Basically we were all exhausted this morning, and had to get ready for our 8:30am church. Thanks be to heaven that she did sleep for half of church. When we got home we all took a short nap- too short for some of us. We attempted other naps for Abbie, but no such luck. One time when I went to get her I found her standing up in her crib. This would have been exciting except that I was quite frustrated. (now that she is asleep, I can be proud). She went down a couple of hours ago, and I am praying that she will sleep better tonight, for all of our sanity.
So, the moral of the story is: if Abbie doesn't get her precious sleep, then everyone suffers. Therefore, I plan on being more careful with sticking to her schedule.
Don't get me wrong, I do love that girl and wouldn't trade her for anything. I guess I need to learn some patience and how to be more positive.  So, I will start by showing you this cute video of Brandon making Abbie giggle. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh...she may not sleep, but she sure is cute! The picture of her and daddy watching cartoons is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the hardest thing is having a kid that doesn't sleep. Matthew was a horrible sleeper the whole first year of his life. I was a completely different person because I was so sleep deprived. So good luck and don't be too hard on yourself. I hope you get some rest soon.

    ReplyDelete