Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sympathetic Pregnancy

Today marks Abbie's original due date. But she hasn't come yet, so I guess they were right to change it to March 1. Any day now though...right?

I remember hearing, long before Christy got pregnant, about dads who ended up experiencing some of the signs of pregnancy with their wives (i.e. morning sickness, food cravings, etc.). I probably thought that was a cool thing for dads to do (as if men can actually come even close to the discomfort and pain of childbirth!).

Fortunately, I can't say I have experienced much of the downside of this pregnancy. But I have had more than my share - particularly not being able to sleep. It's like my body is trying to get ready for Abbie to disrupt my sleep schedule (as she is already doing to Christy in a very direct way). If I ever get more than 4 hours of continuous sleep, it's a miracle! And if I come anywhere close to that mark, it's a good night. Any appreciation I may have had for men experiencing a sympathetic pregnancy is gone. This is far more a PATHETIC pregnancy.

One of my worst fears about being a father is losing sleep. And since I'm already living that nightmare, can I at least have my daughter? Any day now...

No comments:

Post a Comment