Sunday, April 25, 2010

School's out for Summer!

It's official. I made it through my first year of law school - alive. And I found that I really liked it too (for the most part). The best part of my first year of law school (even better than all of the free pizza) is that it's over. And to Christy's great relief, I finally figured out what I'm going to do this summer!

For 5 weeks starting in May, I'm going to be doing what the law school affectionately calls an "externship" and the rest of the world calls an "unpaid internship." I guess BYU wants to make you feel like getting paid in college credit is an acceptable substitute for the money you aren't making. Anyway, I get an easy 4 credit hours out of it and get to experience life at a small law firm - Fillmore Spencer LLC here in Provo. I got the externship through BYU without a formal interview so I've never actually met anyone from the firm, but everyone that I mention it to either has never heard of the place or only has good things to say. The point being that I'll likely have a good experience.

I've had this externship lined up since December, but have had a really hard time finding something good to do for the rest of the summer. After half a dozen rejections, I finally found something that is perfect. I'm going to be working as a full time research assistant for my contracts professor, Cheryl Preston, working on "various papers dealing with Internet regulation and the law relevant to children's online activities." I loved being a research assistant as an undergraduate and this sounds like it will be a great opportunity as well. Plus, I'll be getting paid.

And that's that. Hopefully after the summer I'll still want to practice law. But I guess either way, at least I'll know. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Listen Brandon, my 5th graders are reading those books, I think you should up the reading level requirements for your summer enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? We love children's literature (most of those books right now are Christy's). But I definitely welcome any suggestions for books at a higher level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it's a nice break from the never-ending legal tomes.

    ReplyDelete