Monday, June 8, 2009

Pixar is on the Up and Up

I have always been a huge fan of Pixar movies. For the 3 years before Star Wars Episode 1 came out, I declared Toy Story to be my favorite movie and prided myself on being able to recite nearly the entire movie from memory.

And the hits just kept coming (with the exception of A Bug's Life). I had learned to trust Pixar's genius instinctively - despite how terrible their previews look. Until Wall-E. I actually enjoyed Wall-E and will probably buy it someday, but it just wasn't Pixar's blow-your-mind quality.

And so with a hesitant excitement, Christy and I went to the drive-in to see Up this past weekend. And I can say with confidence that Pixar has still got it. Who else could make a funny, adventurous, moving story about a balloon salesman and an imitation boy scout?

It was so good that I was tempted to drudge through Disney's Earth just so I could watch part of Up again (fortunately better judgment won out).

What more can I say? Fork out the big bucks and go watch Up! It's worth it.

And now I just have to count down the days until Pixar launches Toy Story 3 in June 2010 and Cars 2 in June 2011. Yeehaw!

3 comments:

  1. WALL-E was better than Pixar blow-your-mind quality. It was every-film-blow-your-mind quality. Better than all animated films and better than most live action films. Up was "okay" by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you, Brandon. Wall E was good in its own unique way, stylish and new, but very dry and bland. And though they did a surprisingly good job making you like a couple of robots, it's still not as as emotionally deep as actual sentient, speaking characters who you can relate to. Pixar's charm, wit, and humor were all there, but not nearly as much as in better shows (like Toy Story).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the back-up on that Rich.

    ReplyDelete