Friday, July 18, 2014

My new hobby

 Ok, so I randomly signed us up for a color me rad 5k at the end of June. About 3 weeks before I finally decided I should start 'training' so that I wouldn't be lame and have to walk the whole thing. I got some how-to-get-started advice from a friend and then set a goal to run every morning. The first day I ran, really I mean jogged, 9 minutes. Each day I increased by 30 seconds to a minute. By race day I was able to run about 19 minutes. This is huge people!! I have never in my life been a runner, not even when I was fit in high school.  

Race Day: June 21st
The race was held downtown Salt Lake. 
Thanks to Todd, Karen, and my Dad for meeting us there to watch the kiddos and cheer us on. 
Before picture.

After picture.

I would guess that we ended up running about half the way and fast walking the other half. It was actually really hard. I am so glad Brandon was there to push me and help me cross that finish line.

I am still jogging everyday. For a while I plateaued and was having a hard time increasing my time. But as soon as I bought a sports watch with a timer, I was better able to pace myself and set a route. Now I am up to running 28 minutes. I want to get to the point where I can run at least a whole 5k (hopefully sometime this fall).

1 comment: